4.11.2007

O'Kitten's One-Skein Hat Pattern


One-Skein Cascading Leaves Beanie

I’m new to lace, and I liked the Cascading Leaves pattern so much that I decided to try making a hat out of it. I got a skein of beautiful rosy Savanna yarn from my fantastic PRGE SP, and the whole thing worked out so beautifully that I wanted to share my pattern.

The lace is very simple and twines like a cable. I tried to work the decreases to keep the faux-cable going; that’s why the decrease rounds are a little wacky.


SIZE: Smaller version: About 23 in (58 cm) on head [20 in (51 cm) unstretched] circumference, 7 in (18 cm) from brim to crown
Larger version: About 26 in (66 cm) [23 in (58 cm) unstretched] circumference, 9 in (23 cm) from brim to crown. Directions for larger version are {given in brackets}.


MATERIALS: Worsted weight yarn to achieve gauge (I used Savanna alpaca-linen-new wool-nylon), less than one 80 m (86 yd) skein for smaller version. You will need more yarn for larger version!

1 set US #7 16” circular needles
1 set US #7 double-point needles
5{6} stitch markers

GAUGE: 16 sts and 24 rows = 4 in (10 cm) in stockinette stitch; one repeat of 8-row lace pattern is about 3 1/2 in (9 cm) wide and 1 1/2 in (4 cm) high

Cascading Leaves Pattern (adapted from Debbie Bliss’ How to Knit):
Notes: skpo = Slip 1 knitwise, knit 1, then pass slipped stitch over knitted stitch and off the needle.
On row 1, make sure your yo (yarn over) makes a new stitch. You sort have to bring the yarn around twice on the first yo to make the loop before the first purl stitch. (Counting the stitches between markers helps; there’ll always be 16.)

Row 1: [K3, k2tog, k1, yo, p2, yo, k1, skpo, k3, p2] Repeat 5{6} times.
Row 2 (and every even row): [K6, p2] Repeat for entire round.
Row 3: [K2, k2tog, k1, yo, k1, p2, k1, yo, k1, skpo, k2, p2] Repeat 5{6} times.
Row 5: [K1, k2tog, k1, yo, k2, p2, k2, yo, k1, skpo, k1, p2] Repeat 5{6} times.
Row 7: [K2tog, k1, yo, k3, p2, k3, yo, k1, skpo, p2] Repeat 5{6} times.
Row 8: [K6, p2] Repeat for entire round.


DIRECTIONS:

Cast on 80{96} sts.

Ribbing:
Round 1–4: Knit in 2 x 2 rib [k2, p2] for entire round, every round. On last round, place a stitch marker every 16 sts.
For larger version only: Knit 4 more rounds 2 x 2 rib (8 rounds total). Note that this changes the round numbering. I’m not going to confuse things by re-numbering the rounds all the rounds to follow; I think you can figure that out.

Lace Pattern:
Round 5–12: Knit Cascading Leaves pattern (Rows 1–8 as above).
Round 13–20: Repeat Cascading Leaves pattern.
Round 21–28: Repeat Cascading Leaves pattern. (Three repeats of pattern total.)
For larger version only: Repeat Cascading Leaves pattern. (Four repeats of pattern total.)

You’ve now have about 4 1/2–5 in (12–13 cm) {6 1/2–7 in (17–18 cm)} of hat.

Decreases:
Make decreases as follows:

Round 29: [K3, k2tog, k1, yo, p2, k1, skpo, k3, p2] Repeat 5{6} times. (75{90} sts) Note: The decreases are created by skipping the yo before each marker.
Round 30: [K6, p2, k5, p2] Repeat for entire round.
Round 31: [K2, k2tog, k1, yo, k1, p2, k1, skpo, k2, p2] Repeat 5{6} times. (70{84} sts)
Round 32: [K6, p2, k4, p2] Repeat for entire round.
Round 33: [K1, k2tog, k3, p2, k1, skpo, k1, p2] Repeat 5{6} times. (60{72} sts) Note: Now the decreases are made by skipping both the yo’s between each marker.
Round 34: [K5, p2, k3, p2] Repeat for entire round.
Round 35: [K2tog, k3, p2, k1, skpo, p2] Repeat 5{6} times. (50{60} sts)
Round 36: [K4, p2, k2, p2] Repeat for entire round.

Switch to dpns when necessary.

Round 37: [K2, k2tog, p2, skpo, p2] Repeat 5{6} times. (40{48} sts)
Round 38: [K3, p2, k1, p2] Repeat for entire round.
Round 39: [K1, k2tog, p2, skpo, p1] Repeat 5{6} times. (30{36} sts)
Round 40: [K2 tog, p2, k1, p1] Repeat for entire round. (25{30} sts)
Round 41: [K1, p2, skpo] Repeat for entire round. (20{24} sts)
Round 42: [K1, p1, skpo] Repeat for entire round. (15{18} sts)
Round 43: [K1, skpo] Repeat for entire round. (10{12} sts)
Round 44: [skpo] Repeat for entire round. (5{6} sts)

Break yarn and pull tail through last 5{6} stitches. Secure end inside hat.


If you find any errors in this pattern (although I hope you won’t), please email me (sohopixieATtdsDOTnet) and I’ll fix them pronto. Likewise, if you make a Cascading Leaves beanie or a variation of it, do send me a picture or a link to your blog because I’d love to know how it turns out!



Update 15 June: BlackCrow made this hat using Jo Sharp Silk Road Aran Tweed. It's beautiful, and her photos are much lovelier than mine. Take a look!

13 comments:

Mouse said...

What a cool hat! I'm definitely going to try it out once I get some of these other UFO's off of my needles. I think the photo on the bottom is awesome! Woo-Woo.. hot mama!

Anonymous said...

You are so creative! I'm glad you were able to think of a good use for that pretty yarn!

Chris said...

What a cute picture!! Thanks for the lovely pattern.

Anonymous said...

Looking good, the hat too.
Happy Wednesday.

BEESTLYproducts said...

kyoot! u soooo fancy gurl!!!! I LOVE THE FURRY COAT :-)

Anonymous said...

Cute hat! Aw, the kitties! Emma is my kind of girl.

Peaches & Creme! I knew there was a reason I needed to go to WalMart. I totally lurve dishrags. From being slightly contemptuous of them (oh, the shame) I make them all the time for everyone.

Puss-in-Boots said...

What a lovely hat! Lovely photo too. I would knit it but I don't think I would have any use for it here...what a shame.

Have a great week.

Suzi said...

I love the hat, and your pattern seems easy to follow, I may whip one up for myself yet. Very nice hat.

Grace Garton said...

I've my brand spanking new printer right next to me. Just copied the pattern into word and started printing it....I have my Jo Sharp Aaran Tweed in Green waiting for me on the sofa...I'm all set to go!!

mrspao said...

Wow - you are such a talented O'Kitten!!! I'm going to have to knit one :)

Emily said...

I just made your hat in a brown yarn I had! I'm really happy with how it came out, even though the color is not as pretty as yours and the others posted! I made a post at my Livejournal with pictures-- http://masagoroll.livejournal.com/2110.html

Thank you so much for posting this great pattern! :) I love it and your hat is cute!

Bella Crow said...

Hi, I just finished this last night. I love the pattern, I'm just a noob at knitting so somehow mine is only 5 inches long and more like a yalkmuke.

I'm going to give it another shot because I enjoyed it so!

Bibliocat said...

Lovely pattern. Thank you. I can't wait to try it. I found your etsy page and scooted on over to your blog. Thanks again, Sheryl