11.13.2008

Kittyville-Inspired Wristwarmer Pattern

Kittyville-Inspired Wristwarmers

I made these wristwarmers to match my Kittyville hat. They’re a quick and easy one-skein knit, and you’ll love them even if you don’t have a hat with cat ears to go with them. This will be the third winter for my pair, and they’re still going strong.

SIZE: S [M, L]

MATERIALS: Worsted weight yarn. I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Worsted in Black, less than one 197-yard (180 m) skein.

If you want the fuzzy trim, I used Moda Dea Aerie in black, because that was what was on sale. You only need a few yards for the trim.

1 set US #6 double-point needles for the worsted
1 set US #7 double-point needles for the fuzzy yarn (or adjust size as needed for the trim)

GAUGE: 20 stitches = 4 inches (10 cm) in stockinette stitch with worsted on US size 6 needles

NOTE: I worked these on double-pointed needles from the wrist up. Since I used 1 3/4 inches (4.5 cm) of fuzzy yarn on the bottom of my Kittyville Hat (and the back of the ears), I used the same fuzzy yarn on the bottom of the wristwarmers. You could just as easily work the bottom 1 3/4 inches of the wrist in seed stitch as the Kittyville pattern calls for (or even 1 x 2 rib) instead.

They could also be worked to any length you desire.

DIRECTIONS: Cast on 40 [44, 48] stitches and divide the stitches among your needles. If you’re beginning with fuzzy yarn for the cuff, use appropriate gauge needles and cast on with the fuzzy yarn. Join and work 1 3/4 inches (4.5 cm) seed stitch for the cuff.

If you’re using fuzzy or novelty yarn, you can be lazy like me and work the cuff in garter rib instead of seed stitch.

Switch to worsted yarn and size 6 needles. Continue in stockinette stitch until wristwarmer is 6 1/2 [7, 7 1/2] inches (16.5 [17.8, 19] cm) long, or about 1 inch (2.5 cm) from desired length.

On the next round, make a buttonhole. I found a 7-stitch buttonhole to be about the right size. This buttonhole is a really good one, very comfortable and stands up to a lot of wear. (It looks confusing, but it's not so bad if you just follow the directions through.) Make buttonhole and finish the round.

Continue with 3 more rows of stockinette stitch, then 4 rows of seed stitch.

Bind off. Make sure to bind off loosely, or the wristwarmer will be too tight around your palm. Work in ends. Voila!

2 comments:

Chris said...

The wristwarmers are cute - but dang, that hat!! If I actually ever wore hats...

Puss-in-Boots said...

Those are so cute...I wish it was cold enough here to wear them. Actually, no I don't, because it would have to be very cold and I couldn't hack that!