I'm just tickled no end that it's time for PRGE2, because the first one was so much fun.
1. How long have you been...
Knitting - 15 months
Crocheting – a few months
Spinning – 17 months
2. Do you consider yourself a beginner, novice or experienced yarn artist?
An ambitious novice
3. What fibers (materials) have you knit/crochet with?
Llama, merino, silk/merino, cotton, wool, acrylic
4. What are your favorite yarns?
Llama (I can’t help it, I love my llamas). I also really like the merino and silk/merino I’ve worked with. But I’m not a fiber snob—I adore Peaches’n’Creme and am constantly picking through my stash (including stuff like Red Heart) and use it quite shamelessly.
5. What fibers are you dying to try?
From my first PRGE pal I have some yak, camel, and raw silk and cotton I’m dying to spin. Everyone keeps talking about Noro; I don’t know what that is. It sounds like a noodle dish.
6. Do you prefer solid, self striping, or handpainted yarns?
I’m really a solid-color kind of girl, although I’ve now made two pairs of socks using multi-colored yarn and that was kind of fun.
7. What fibers do you dislike?
Scratchy wool, sparkly novelty stuff.
8. What are your favorite colors?
Dark Green/Deep Blue/Indigo/Purple end of the spectrum, grey, black, chocolate.
9. What are your least favorite colors?
Pastels and neon.
10. How did you learn to knit/crochet/spin?
My mom taught me to knit (here's the long version of the story). I took spinning lessons with my mother and grandmother, and my grandmother taught me to crochet last summer.
11. What projects are you currently working on?
Not much going on at the moment. A black shrug out of this gorgeous but absolutely microscopic Tsuki silk/mohair; a set of placemats for my mom and dad; a mindless brain-relieving washcloth.
12. How old is your oldest UFO? What is it? Will it ever be finished?
The set of placemats are an unfinished Xmas gift. =)
13. What is the most heartbreaking project that you ever frogged?
Oooh...I had an open-backed tank gone bad...but it wasn't all bad, since it turned into these:
14. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
I use both, but am coming to prefer straights and dpns when I have a choice.
15. Do you own a swift and/or a winder?
16. Where do you keep your needles?
I have a paper-covered wine gift box for the long straight ones (but they're too tall to put the lid on, so it's not cat-roof) and the dpns and circulars are in a vinyl zippered tote.
17. Do you enjoy helpful hints about your knitting or does it just piss you off?
Bring ‘em on!
18. What techniques are you still a virgin in (lace, cables, ect.) and are you interested in trying them?
I finished a really cute version of this Razor Cami, which was my first attempt at lace. The shrug I’m working on now has lace around the sleeves, but I’m still very much a lace novice.
I love cables, and am dying to make an entire sweater. I mean something with sleeves. I remain a sweater virgin. Actually, I haven’t progressed beyond the wristwarmer either—so I’m a finger-item virgin, too. I’d like to learn to make mittens, gloves, and most especially a sweater.
19. What knitting magazines do you subscribe to?
20. Are there any books, needles, yarn, patterns that you are dying to get your hands on?
Naughty Needles is a book I think I'd like. I don't have any Addis--everyone raves about them, so I'd like to try them. I have straights and dpns in most sizes, but the more I use bamboo the more I like them; I hardly have any bamboo. (There's an interchangeable bamboo set that really intrigues me, but I'm not crazy enough about circulars to want to dish out the cash for it.)
21. Do you enjoy knitting socks? How big are your feet?
I just started making socks. Whee! Size 8 US (38-39).
22. Do you have a wish list?
23. What are your non-knitting, crochet, spinning hobbies?
Besides blogging, writing, and photography, needle-felting and being a llama- and sheep-mama, chicken-raiser, and cat-slave.
24. How do you feel about sports?
25. What is your favorite season? Least favorite season? Why?
I love fall. Apples, sweater weather, blood-red leaves, things with fangs.
I abhor summer. It's hot.
26. What is your favorite holiday?
27. Do you like handmade gifts?
28. Do you wear jewelry that isn't real?
Now that I'm a farmgirl instead of a citygirl I don't wear much jewelry anymore, but I like jewelry—especially the fake stuff.
29. What are your favorite foods? Scents that you love?
Chocolate, coffee, cheese, mmmm cheese! Sweet Tarts. I like Lavender, Rosemary, Lemongrass. Green and foresty scents.
30. What is your family situation? Do you live alone?
I co-habitate with one spouse and three housecats.
31. Do you have any pets?
Aside from spouse and cats, we also have five llamas, two Icelandic sheep, 23 hens, and one rooster.
32. What kind of music do you like?
‘80s, new wave, dark wave, goth, punk, 4AD, social distortion, mike ness, johnny cash, tom waits, bluegrass, ministry, helmet, pearl jam, nirvana, alice in chains, bauhaus, joy division, love and rockets, violent femmes, the cure…
Can your computer/stereo play MP3's?
33. What are your favorite movies? TV shows? Actors?
Blade Runner, Lost Boys, Repo Man, Cat People (original and remake), Monsters Inc, Prophecy; X-Files, CSI; Christopher Walken, Johnny Depp, Natalie Portman, Nicholas Cage, Tilda Swinton, Christian Slater, Christina Ricci, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Sam Jackson, Ewan MacGregor to name a few.
34. What do you collect?
I like stones. It started when I was in Santa Fe—I got some really cool rocks: a small geode, a polished globe of labradorite, pink lepidolite, jasper, moss agate carved into a little cat, and a tiny fossilized trilobite.
I also collect coats--vintage and fake fur.
35. What do you do in real life -- besides knit and blog?
What else is there? I’m a farmess.
36. When is your birthday? Is it a national holiday or just another day?
June 4. Usually I run around like a little kid telling anyone and everyone that it’s my birthday.
37. Do you have any allergies, medical conditions or disorders that your pal should be aware of (ie. diabetes, food/pet allergies, ect.)?
Um, mushrooms. ICK!!!! And alcohol (the kind you drink)
I'm bipolar, does that count?
38. Are there any scents, phobias, or sensory thing (ie, the way certain objects feel) that your pal should be aware of?
I’m not crazy about strong commercial fragrances—some of them make me sneeze. Candles, essential oils, and that kind of thing are generally okay, though.
39. What is the most difficult thing that you have ever knit/crochet?
I’m so green that I’m always on a learning curve. I usually have something challenging going on with little easy projects (like washrags) for mindless knitting at the same time.
40. What is your personal style? Is there a time period/fashion movement that you take your cues from?
The '80s, goth, sci-fi; I like vampires, bats, cats—things with fangs.
41. Anything else that you would like to say?
Yay Punk Rock Gift Exchange! I had so much fun the last time around (gosh darnit, I still have something I keep promising to send my adorable PRKG1 pally)—and I got awesome stuff from my most excellent and supreme pal. She was the bestest!