10.20.2006

Those Elusive Alien Ships


I am encountering many obstacles to completing my Alien Illusion Scarf.


Some of them are in the form of Grey Cats (at left, usually sleeping) and Black Cats (generally not sleeping, but chasing needles and breaking yarn).


Sometimes I have Black Cats and Striped Grey Cats instead. They might be watching me; washing each other; fighting with one another, me, or the knitting; or, with any luck...


...sleeping.

AI Scarf Improvisations

Once begun, I realized I didn't have enough green yarn to get very far with my Alien Illusion Scarf pattern. As the yarn was stray stash yarn, unlabelled and unidentifiable, buying additional yarn wasn't an option. Hence, AI scarf has become two scarves in one:


I tried to get a shot of the elusive alien craft, but they are in stealth mode (black on black). Fortunately, I was able to capture their outline in chart form (see Oct. 19 post, below).


Next, to the Moon

Suffering today from egregious knitting ADD, I made a new chart, of one of the Mooninites (Ignignokt) from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

In the process I realized that a knitting chart isn't exactly a square--i.e. my gauge for the AI scarf (bulky yarn on size 8s) is 24 rows and 16 sts = 4 inches. This is not, you may notice, 24 rows/24 sts = something, or 16 rows/16 sts = something, but an unequal number of rows and stitches. "Hmmmmm," I thought to myself, stuggling to work out this silly little chart. "Maybe this explains why my spaceships turned out looking eye-shaped instead of cigar-shaped the way I drew them on the chart..."

Live and learn! As soon as I test out my new Mooninite chart--presuming it works--I'll post it as well.

And Now For Something Completely Different

A friend who raises rabbits just gave me some rabbit fiber (grey and white, and caramel and white), and I've begun carding it with fleece from Graty's spring shearing.

And boy, does that rabbit ever give the llama fiber a lovely glow! You can see it blended together in the carder at top left, and in the rolags ready to spin in front of the box. Raw rabbit fiber is in the plastic bag on top of the box (yes, I know I need to put it in a paper bag before it gets all felted), and you can see Graty's fresh-off-the-llama fleece at right. I can't wait to begin spinning this up...

5 comments:

Mouse said...

The scarf is looking really cool and I love the gorgeous fiber!
My husband said that I wasn't allowed to have any fiber animals in the yard.. lol.

Glaistig said...

The scarf is too cool! I get a little scared knowing those ships are there. It's like eerie, you know?

Hey, are grey cats related to The Greys? It would make sense in a conspiracy sort of way. . . .

I don't know who my fav ATHF character is. It might even be Carl, hee hee.

Chris said...

The scarf is looking really cool! Heh, why do black cats require so much less sleep than other cats?! It gives them a lot more time to get in trouble...

Gattina said...

Sorry, knitting is not my cup of tea at all ! But the cat pictures are so nice and I can immagine the scene hunting needles and playing with the yarn.

Obsidian Kitten said...

Grey cats may well be related to The Greys. Esp. if you look at them without their ears...

And I should've known better than to get a black cat. I never learn. They're like The Greys...except, uh, darker. And they rly don't sleep nearly as much.

So Mouse, if you can't have fiber animals in the yard, can you have them in the house?

Why are those ships so creepy? Is is because they came out looking more like eyeballs than ships?