4.03.2009

I Heart NY Part 4: My Neighborhood

1873 map of Glendale, from the gaelic gleann dail, meaning 'valley of fertile, low-lying arable land.' In the 1860s, Glendale, NY, Developer George Schott named this part of Queens, New York City, after his hometown of Glendale, Ohio.

This is my corner of Glendale, Queens, back in 1921.


This is my corner today. As you can see, Hermann's is still here.


There's a really cool street lamp on our corner...

...and more of them all along Myrtle Avenue.

The originals would have been installed in the 1910s.

There are a few of the real ones left in Manhattan, but I love seeing them in my own neighborhood. These are replicas of this type; 'modern' steel ones were installed in the interim. I'd much rather have these.

Glendale is like a small town in the middle of the big city. Because it is surrounded by cemeteries, they say there are more dead people than living residents here. See the green band on the map? It's all cemeteries and parkland. Cypress Hills opened in 1848 and All Saints Lutheran in 1852, and they were just the beginning. Harry Houdini is buried here; so is Mae West.


Houdini causes quite a commotion every Halloween, although he has yet to make an appearance.


Yesterday my pharmacy was getting a new window design for spring.

Around the corner I get pizza from Maurice.

Queens "claims more languages spoken and more passports possessed than any county in the world," according to a recent NY Times article.

Glendale was once largely German with some Italian and Irish; more recently, our neighborhood has also welcomed a number of Polish immigrants. According to Forgotten NY, Glendale is still "home to the largest German-American population in not only Queens, but also in all of the City of New York."

That might explain why we have one of the best German restaurants I've ever been to, Zum Stammtisch. Mr. O'Kitten worked here back when he was in high school. Check out the moose.

Mr. O'Kitten and several generations of his family went to this school two blocks away.


Finally, the most famous address in Glendale is a fictional one: 704 Hauser Street. Do you recognize it?


It's the Bunker residence from the long-running TV sit-com All in the Family (1971-79). Here's the real house at 89-70 Cooper Avenue in Glendale.


The Trees Lounge bar is also in Glendale. You probably only care about this if, like me, you're a huge Steve Buscemi fan, or if, like Mr. O'Kitten, you spent time drinking at The Assembly, the real bar that they used as Trees Lounge for the film.


Finally, Glendale is home to Cooper's Ale House from the TV show The King of Queens. Cooper's, located at 88th Street and Cooper Avenue, is now called 'Yer Man's Irish Pub.'


Good night from Glendale!

6 comments:

Chris said...

It looks like a really cool neighborhood!

Ragnar said...

I've been meaning to do a post like this about my neighborhood. Thanks for reminding me!

Great stuff.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Great post O'K. It's so interesting reading about other people's neighbourhoods and homes.

Beth said...

Can you come over?

KJ Callaway said...

OK. So FINALLY after putzing about with several programs and trying to organize ideas in my head and nixing them I FINALLY finished at least 1/2 of the thing I am making for you!


It took me a while to download the right software components, then I couldn't find a place to do the work for a price I could afford then I couldn't figure out what to do with the results, but now I am ready!

YAY!

I am excited for you stuff to get here so I can finish you prezzie and mail it to you! I've been slowly adding more goodies.

KJ

meemsnyc said...

We've never been to the neighborhood of Glendale, but it looks cool!! It looks like you love your 'hood ad much as we love our neighborhood, Greenpoint.