7.19.2008

In Which Isis Studies the OED


For our first Christmas together, Mr. O'Kitten gave me the OED. I swear, it is one of the most romantic and utterly wonderful gifts I have ever received. "The Oxford English Dictionary is the accepted authority on the evolution of the English language over the last millennium. It is an unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, both present and past." Over half a million words, over the last millennuim--come on, how sexy is that?!

This is the compact version, since the full-size has 20 volumes. But what's cool about the compact version is that all 20 volumes are contained within one volume with tiny print, and it comes with a fabulous magnifier that you use to see it. It is, like, the coolest thing ever.

And finally, here in our new apartment, I have a place to leave it out for easy reference. I always wanted a podium or something to leave it on (hehheh) like a library would so that I didn't have to haul it off the shelf every time I want to look something up. Here I finally have the perfect spot. You can see it in its place of honor in the photo above, right under my diploma, which I've hung up for the first time as well.

But the other evening, there was this:

Dozing off right between Lay and Lay-Off, Lay-Out and Lead.


If you can see how small the print is, Isis looks like a cat of absolutely monstrous proportions. I mean, even bigger than she already is.

So now I keep the OED closed, and she happily sleeps next to it. Go figure.


Just a Bit of Knitting

I have done a bit of knitting since we moved. I finished a couple things, like the Sock Monkey Socks, the baby sweater I was working on, and that sea-silk cami. I also made a few things the apartment needed...

...like curtain tie-backs...




...and a kitchen washrag.


Also in the works, a baby hat from this pattern. I made needle-felted eyes, which I haven't attached yet.

7 comments:

Puss-in-Boots said...

I love the Oxford English Dictionary and I have the Australian version as well, with all the local vernacular, which is very colourful. Are we crazy, or what? Loving dictionaries...

My mum does, too, so I can't help it...it runs in the family!

Chris said...

The OED is indeed a most wonderful and excellent gift! I love the picture of Isis on it - but if that was May? You'd be missing a chunk of the L's while she burped delicately and cleaned one of her paws...

mrspao said...

Your cats are incredibly well-behaved. If it had been Ophelia on there, she would shredded it before sleeping on it!

Anonymous said...

Love the story of the dictionary! Gennaro bought me a copy of "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats because he heard me saying how I loved it as a child. The collages in there made such an impression on me. It was such a new way to look at things!--Ashley

Obsidian Kitten said...

thank god she was so well-behaved lol

she has sharpened her claws and sampled the tastes of many odd and interesting things, but somehow seemed to know better in this case...

now that it is closed she still loves sleeping next to it ('The Sleeping Dictionary' anyone? hehheh)

Anonymous said...

The Sleeping Dictionary, cute! Language never sleeps. Isis looked so cute on it though!

I've got one just like that! The largesse of my brother & sil when they moved. I love it but it does need a podium. Hmmm.

That is one adorable timer hat.

Ellen Whyte said...

What a sweet picture. Glad you've got a kitty who can read *without* shredding the page in the process!