6.30.2008

Where in the World is Obsidian Kitten?

Sorry I've been offline for so long, but we've been busy moving...

Moving!? "Where on earth would Obsidian Kitten be moving to?" you may well be asking yourself. Well, here's a clue:


No new pictures yet, because my computer still isn't hooked up...but you can imagine...


Yep, we've returned to NYC.

You know the girls had to fly on an aeroplane? That made it An Official Adventure. Thank goodness the vet gave us the kitty valium (for the cats, not for us), because we had to take them all out of their carriers in the airport so the crates could be searched for drugs or guns or explosives or other cat-related contraband.

I miss the farm (and the llamas especially) but the city feels far more like home to me. I just was not cut out to mow grass and have to drive to the bookstore, I guess.

The new apartment is really nice--more space than I had in Hoboken (but for a far more reasonable rent) and now has a fresh coat of paint: sky blue in the bedroom, computer room, and craft room; forest green in the living room; a retro minty green in the kitchen; and lemon-ice yellow in the bathroom, which is small but still has its old claw-footed tub.

It has a lot of the features I really liked about my Hoboken aptartment: tall 32 x 72 in. (nearly 1 x 2 m) windows in every room, 9-ft (almost 3 m) ceilings, and the spacious kitchen has old ceramic tile on the wall, a deep enamel sink, old metal kitchen cabinets, and a tin ceiling.

We're in Glendale, Queens (home of Houdini's grave, in case you ever wondered), very close to Brooklyn, and just steps from bus, the deli, the grocery store, the bank, the 99-cent store (woo-hoo!), the pharmacy, and just about anything else you can imagine.

More coming soon--with pictures, as soon as the Mac is settled into its new home.

17 comments:

Elizabeth said...

"New York is where I'd rather stay!
I gather 'llergic smelling hay (Achoo!)..."
Isn't that how it goes?

Best of luck on your latest adventure, just don't overdose on the bagels and lox right away!

Mouse said...

Wow.. what a turn of events! I've been wondering what happened to you and am glad that you checked in on your blog. Can't wait to hear about everything and see photos of your new place!

mrspao said...

I'm definitely planning a return visit to New York now I know you've returned! I am dribbling over that pizza. Hope you settle in quickly and all the girls are doing ok. Hug hug hug xxxx

Chris said...

Having grown up on a farm and discovering that I am a city girl at heart, I can completely understand. Looking forward to seeing NYC through your eyes and lens!

BEESTLYproducts said...

AWWWWW!!!! the poor fur babies!!!!

Welcome home, mama!!!!!

historicstitcher said...

Missed you, honey. Glad you're doing well. Keep us up on your Big City Adventures, k?

Beth's isn't quite the same without you...

*hugs*

Gothknits said...

hey now you're only 2 hours from me! woo hoo!!!

We will have to get together.

Anonymous said...

We are so happy you are back home and will be able to have fun with the family all the time.
Countdown to SEASIDE...yeaaaaa

Hugs
Joanie

Anonymous said...

City life does have its advantages! All moved in and everything. Poor kitties! Thank heaven for valium.

Rachel said...

Congratulations! How exciting!!!

MIQuilter said...

Love that you're loving the big city - hate that you had to leave us all behind :(

Anonymous said...

Now I'm confused. Were you a city girl in the country or are you now a country girl in the city? Are cats urban and dogs rural? You are shaking my perceptions down to the foundations. Enjoy the pizaa and say hello to Houdini for me.

roxtarc said...

yo... you, me & gothknits gotta make a date... bagels, coffee & herbal tea (for gk) :)

if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!

Puss-in-Boots said...

Wow, that's a big move. What happened to all your animals, especially the chooks and the llamas?

Kitty contraband...lol! Poor things, I hope they weren't too traumatised.

How does Mr O'K feel about all this?

Sorry for the questions...but it sound like you're going to be living in a really interesting part of NY.

Good luck with everything and I hope it all works out for you both.

Anonymous said...

Did my previous post get posted? I don't see it . . .

pins&needles said...

I will miss pictures of the farm, but glad you moved somewhere more comfortable for you.

jesse.anne.o said...

This is what I get for not reading your blog for so long! Welcome back?!