8.09.2008

Scratchy Stuff

My full post on this topic is actually here--don't ask me how it wound up there, but it posted on the date I began writing it, rather than today's date. For comparison, below is the cardboard scratcher our cats like--the one with the "two for $10, plus free catnip" price tag. Regardless of the name, I'm not actually sure what it's a 'refill' for. I just throw these scratchers on the floor and the girls scratch, loll, and snooze on them all the same.


I just found this one, and it's not too shabby for $22. Notably, it looks exactly like a much-loved chunk of cardboard I scavenged for the girls from the box an air conditioner came in. I have to say they used it almost daily and it lasted for three years or more, so if this has a similar lifespan, you could do far worse.

More of my reflections on cardboard scratchers (with DIY links) here.

Check out 24Paws on etsy for hand-crafted cardboard scratchers ($15 includes free nip) or SmittytheKitty for lovely cedar-based scratchers if you don't want to make one yourself--Smitty's are spiffy and totally affordable. Finally, really beautiful and unique cat trees (if you wanna go for something like the real thing) can be found at CatsPlay.

And scratch happy!

6 comments:

Chris said...

My next linkity linkity post will contain links to your two scratcher posts! Very cool.

Anonymous said...

:) Thanks for the mention! Two years ago a kitten (covered in ringworm with a respiratory infection)was dumped in our yard and continues to turn our doghouse upside down. lol We run to keep with her.

I'm a Gemini girl too...June 2. :)
Happy belated birthday...really, can you hear it too much?

Puss-in-Boots said...

Those cat trees are certainly different, O'K. They are beauties. The one I've got for my two is a pretty sturdy thing...it needs to be because they both use it at the same time and it gets a bit of a hammering!

mrspao said...

I've never tried cardboard scratchers - we've usually just got sisal ones but cardboard ones sound good.

Obsidian Kitten said...

Back in Michigan Mr. O'Kitten built the girls a cat tree and it *really* took a beating--especially with Isis hurling her 13-lb self on and off the top platform! The main pole was wrapped in sisal and they liked that stuff a lot.

The cardboard scratchers have turned out to be far more durable than I would've expected.

Obsidian Kitten said...

oh, and as one of the ads I read points out, when one side of the scratcher gets worn, you can just flip it over.