2.27.2010

Bring Me My Duster

Accompanied by backing vocals that sounds eerily like Hall and Oates, we herald the return yet again of skinny jeans, ankle leggings, and (shudder) even stirrup pants.

These look eerily like something I would have squeezed
myself into twenty-some years ago. I'm just sayin'.


And again, more of the same, but these days we go without
the shoulderpads for counter-balance on the upper quadrant.

As I am no longer quite as slim as I was when I last donned acid-washed jeans with ankle zippers, I am left to wonder where that indispensible item of my 1980s wardrobe could be hiding: the long duster. A google image search of "duster jacket" turned up little that resembled this versatile garment; similarly, no photos of "corey haim lost boys" showed that young man sporting one of his many dusters from the 1987 film; only a smattering of Etsy entries seemed to have the right idea.

This is sort of it, although more fitted than what I remember.
I actually like it enough to consider ordering one.


This is more of a coat, but I like it. Looks like something from
the J. Peterman catalogue (which, incidentally, had no dusters).


Lousy photo, but the right idea. Sort of.

Fashion historians will probably note the similarity of our skinny jean/legging to the narrow pedal-pusher of the 1950s, and may wish to muse upon the historical trajectory of the duster from the American West through the 1920s to its 1980s resurgence. But I just want a nice long jacket to billow behind me as I disappear into dark alleyways. Is that too much to ask?

3 comments:

Mouse said...

Thankfully my black trench coat is one of the few things that I've refused to part with. Mine is safely hung in my closet where it will be put back into service when the weather allows...
Also- I'm happy to see a resurgence of "stretch leggings" if only because I love to wear them under my long skirts to avoid potential 'wardrobe malfunctions' should a heavy wind or an unfortunate foot on the hem get in the way. They should definitely come with the warning that "Leggings are NOT PANTS" though.

Mouse said...

Ps. I love the Lost Boys reference.. but I think you should have googled Kiefer Sutherland for photos of those wonderful dusters. Rawr.

uhles said...

I've always loved the pockets on a long coat. They are at just the right spot, below the hips, to keep hands warm while still allowing your arms to swing freely. Since leggings were never my thing but a secret desire to hang with the Lost Boys was, I'm ready for the resurgance.