2.14.2009

'Tis the Day of Saint Valentine (or is it?)

"Won't I be the lucky dog if I get the Valentine I want?"

Happy Valentine's Day! ...Or, is it Lupercalia, an ancient "Roman pastoral festival, observed on February 13 through February 15 to avert evil spirits and purify the city, releasing health and fertility"?

Canis lupus

It seems as these various holidays roll around I set about looking for an illustration or two to set the mood, and discover, in the process, a blog or a website that I am surprised I haven't previously come across. Coilhouse, a self-proclaimed "love letter to alternative culture, written in an era when alternative culture no longer exists," is one such example. This category gave me an intriguing sampling of material, from a post about an online historical anatomies exhibition at NIH...


...to an elegant spine-inspired type...


...to this:
And that doesn't even include the face corsets or the 1504 iron hand prosthesis with articulated fingers.

So have a Happy Saint Valentine's/Lupercalia/Face Corset/Foot Fetish Day!

Dear Valentine: "Betcha Boots" We'd Make a Dandy "Pair"

4 comments:

Chris said...

LOL! Ah, the amazing connections of following links...

Puss-in-Boots said...

I think...I'd rather stay with Valentine's Day. Too much like hard work being a foot fetishist or whatever...lol.

mrspao said...

Happy Day!

Severina said...

Stabby guy makes me inexplicably happy!

Dude, my WV says "fulater". Is that F U later? *snort!*