4.20.2008

Signs of Spring and an Experimental Sock

Hints of Spring

As you can see there are still no leaves on the trees, but there are buds. And yesterday the forsythia started blooming.




Today, I noticed a lone daffodil, so spring must finally be on its way.


Last year a late frost hit after the forsythia and bulbs began to bloom, so we'll have to see if we're in for any more cold weather or not. But in the meantime, I've seen a smattering of barn swallows and the bats have begun their evening forays in and out of the barn. So far, so good.


How to Eke Out a Sock

As I mentioned, I think all my old store-bought socks heard I learned to knit and decided to wear out all at once. Hence, my sock-knitting binge of late. I've had this lovely, incredibly soft 100% Bamboo Yarn for awhile, but just two balls, and they're only 112 yds (102 m) each. But I had some KPPPM left from another pair of socks I made, and decided to try an experiment.

I used the leftover KPPPM for the cuff, heel and toe, and had just enough of the bamboo to knit the rest of the sock. The merino and the bamboo weren't quite the same gauge, but it kind of worked out.


The 6-stitch pattern is from Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks (yes, again!) and is called Cloverleaf Eyelet Cable. Very easy, and worked nicely with the bamboo. (This pic is much closer to the actual colour.)


The only really tricky thing about the bamboo is that it has a lot of plies and got a little splitty at times. It's really silky though, and should be nice for spring/summer.

10 comments:

Chris said...

That is a cool stitch pattern.

Does it help to know that your grass is far greener than ours?

Anonymous said...

Nice socks...love the color.

Yes,SPRING is in the air and we are very happy and look forward to the warmer weather.
Our trees and bushes are coming alive.
Enjoy your day
HUGS
Joanie

BEESTLYproducts said...

i love forsthyia!!!!

my g-mom used to have a few when i was younger, and the bright yellow was always the first sign of spring. :-)

Anonymous said...

The socks look good! how does the bamboo feel? I've got bamboo sheets but it has to be different.


'The default position, the nap curl.' Go, Emma! (and a head bath for your from Isis! Awww.)

Beth said...

I miss you:-)

Obsidian Kitten said...

The bamboo is really soft and silky. I'm hoping it'll be really comfortable in warm weather. =)

mrspao said...

It looks so beautiful where you are!

I love the way your socks have turned out - the Koigu on the cuffs, heels and toes is a lovely effect.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Love the socks...very funky! Talking of bamboo yarn, mum sent me some bamboo knickers for my birthday...sounds strange, doesn't it? Anyway I had them sitting on top of the chest of drawers and when I went to put them away later on, they were black with ants! Talk about ants in my pants...I guess it was because there was a certain amount of sweetness to the yarn. So just watch your socks or the ants may get them!

Elizabeth said...

I like your sock experiment! There are always sock leftovers and I always say I should buy 3 balls of sock yarn instead of two and so can get 2 pairs from 3 balls.

Spring is an unpredicyable season. I got a sunburn yesterday and yet there is a frost warning tonight, rain/wet snow today. Must bring all my seedlings in.

pins&needles said...

That sock is too cool! I love that pattern.

Last year we too had a frost that almost killed everything. I imagine the farmers were pretty pissed about that happening.