2.04.2007

Silent Poetry Reading in Honor of the Feast of Brigid

This has long been one of my favorite poems. It is, I think, appropriate both for February 2 (which falls right between the winter and spring solstices) and my sober anniversary. It's found in a wonderful volume titled The Wild Iris by Louise Gluck.


Snowdrops

Do you know what I was, how I lived? You know
what despair is; then
winter should have meaning for you.

I did not expect to survive,
earth suppressing me. I didn't expect
to waken again, to feel
in damp earth my body
able to respond again, remembering
after so long how to open again
in the cold light
of earliest spring--

afraid, yes, but among you again
crying yes risk joy

in the raw wind of the new world.

--Louise Gluck

5 comments:

Obsidian Kitten said...

thanks to mouse i found out about this!

yay mouse!

deborahoak said...

thanks.....the poetry keeps coming! great to read it AND to find such great new sites!

sunneshine said...

What a great poem! I love it and I love that it made me think....And a late congrats on your 11 years and wishes for many more happy years to come!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a great poem. I want to add some despairing addendum to it, but that's just my sunny personality. ;)

Congrats on your 11th birthday! Blogger won't let me leave a comment lately. It toys with me via that "type in these letters" box, the way that poor mouse was dealt with. Harshly.

Isis looks quite, quite pleased with herself and vastly displeased with you.

Chris said...

That's a wonderful poem - thanks for sharing.