6.29.2006

Pictures of Grandma


My grandmother is visiting for a few weeks. She is one of the most amazing people I know, and one of the most experienced craftspeople. (Which reminds me to ask her to show me how to crochet.) These days she paints, writes, gardens, reads, and works on her scrapbooks, which she's been keeping since 1935.


Over the years she's worked with dried flowers, ceramics, tole painting, mosaics, needlepoint, quilling, crochet, glass, tile, macrame, candle-making...I know I'm forgetting some, but if you can think of a craft, she's probably tried it at least once.



I love these two photos of her. I'm guessing the first one was taken around 1930 and the one with the car in the late 30s. She always dressed really nicely (great hat, isn't it?) and still won't go out without her hairbrush. It's the little things, you know. Fashion before comfort, I always say!


Now she is 88 and has slowed down only in the last couple years. Until very recenly she could run circles around me--and this after being a working mother, raising four boys, seven grandchildren, and nine great-granchildren. She says she has "lazyitis." When I remind her that she is 88, she doesn't seem to think that's it. "I'm just lazy!" she says.

But I don't think that's it at all. And I still think she has the most beautiful hands.



9 comments:

tawnyatay said...

I love old pictures -- they make me nostalgic even though I wasn't born 'til 1985. Anyway, thanks for the help with cables. <3!

Anonymous said...

What great pictures. Your grandmother sounds like one special lady. My grandmother was like that, she tried every craft, finally she discovered stained glass, and that stuck with her until she just couldn't do it anymore. But I'm honored to have one of the very last things she made, a stained glass lamp for my wedding present. When she passed, all of us grandkids got to take one large piece from her home. I'll cherish it always.

I love th epicture of your grandmother with the cat, it's so peaceful.

Dana said...

What a lovely post. Your grandmother is blessed to have your love!

MsFortuknit said...

Shes lovely in all of the photos you have here! What a wonderful time for you! I also see the resembelence!

RheLynn said...

Beautiful pictures and story! It is wonderful you have so much to share with each other and time to spend together while she is visiting! Morgan looks so happy there -- she knows without a doubt that she's in good (and beautiful) hands ;o)

Carrie K said...

She does have beautiful hands. And a beautiful kitty. And I covet that sweater/jacket.

Chris said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother! Thank you for sharing the words and pictures with us. I LOVE that last image...

Unknown said...

Wow, I love these pictures. My Oma passed away last Christmas time. She was my last living grandparent. So, seeing these photos make me smile.

Have a great weekend and 4th!

KJ Callaway said...

Hey O'Kitten,

Sorry to hear about your grandma, my grandma is similar in age and raised me and I am dreading the day I have to say goodbye.

Which reminds me, Mr KeenKitty and I need to get to the family reunion this summer come hell or high water.

Kitty with Grandma pic is adorable!

KJ